Thursday, November 12, 2009

Mickey Mouse Makeover? Really?

I heard on the radio this morning that The Walt Disney Company is going to be giving Mickey Mouse a makeover. I’m not sure how I feel about this. The author in me wonders how Mickey’s creator, Walt Disney, would feel about this.

Here’s the scoop, as I understand it: Apparently, Mickey is being groomed to be more flexible and fun. I’m not sure what this means. Is he going to be a gymnast now? Coached by Peter Pan? Word is that Mickey Mouse needs new clothes, too. Does this imply a personal shopper? Perhaps Cinderella’s fairy godmother? Or, is she too out of touch with today’s fashions? The buzz also implies that Mickey needs to work on his personality. Who knew the mouse had issues? I, for one, have read nothing about this in The National Inquirer or In Touch magazine. But now I imagine an army of therapists and coaches (perhaps the Seven Dwarfs?) guiding Mickey on the path of becoming a better mouse. To top all this off, I thought I heard something about revamping his home life, too. Please don’t tell me that he and Mini are having relationship issues. That would be nothing short of devastating. Donald and Daisy on the rocks I can see (I couldn’t take Donald’s crankiness and temper tantrums, to be honest), but Mickey and Mini talking trash to each other is simply unacceptable.

I guess I like Mickey the way he is--playful and kindhearted, but also spunky at times with a tendancy to get into trouble. “The Sorcerer's Apprentice" in Fantasia comes to my mind. Mickey mucks things up in a big way, but then he tries like crazy to make things right. I guess I can relate to this. I kind of see myself in this cartoon mouse. Maybe this explains why I am a little wary of his upcoming makeover. Sometimes people and cartoon characters are fine the way they are, even if their idea of a fashion statement equals a pair of red shorts, yellow shoes, and white gloves.

But, what do I know?



No comments:

Post a Comment