Monday, August 3, 2009

SCBWI ANNUAL CONFERENCE

In a few days, which will probably be too short given everything that I need to do, I’ll be flying out to Los Angeles, on my way to the 38th annual Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators conference. And I am soooo excited about this! Because I’ve been to this conference before and it has always been informative, inspiring, and entertaining. In summary, an absolute blast. There is just something fabulous about getting hundreds of people who love children’s literature together in a big, beautiful (and happily spacious) hotel. There is a crackling energy that resonates for four days, a spark and sizzle that I always bring home with me and wear around for days like a favorite jacket.

So, as I run around packing, gathering up notebooks and pens, copies of DOG GONE and postcards for BUCK FEVER, I’ll be getting increasingly giddy with anticipation about seeing some of my writer friends, meeting people I’ve only connected with via the internet and getting to know others simply because we’re sitting next to each other or riding the same elevator. Yes, four days of swimming in everything writing and children’s books sounds like a nice long weekend to me.

4 comments:

  1. Have fun, Cynthia! Too bad this is one year I'll be missing... I'm out of the country. Knock 'em out, and have a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to that conference a few times in years past. LOVE that hotel! In fact, I ordered those dual shower heads that they have for my master shower. Ahhh, heaven.

    Sad to be missing it this year. Just don't have the time or funds. Maybe another time.

    Have fun - it's easy to do there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Andrew! And I hope you have a blast on your trip!

    Thank you, too, Tess! I know--it's hard to miss this one, but there's always next year, right?

    One of these days we'll have to meet up at a conference or some such!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cynthia: just wanted to let you know I got the ARC of Buck Fever in the mail today...thank you so, so very much! It's super-duper generous of you and I'm excited to read it. I'm headed out to visit my mom this week in Calif. so will take it along as my vacation read...hooray!

    and, yes, a conference meet up would be fun :)

    ReplyDelete